Kevin is a partner in Gilbert + Tobin’s Corporate Advisory group.
Kevin advises on strategic mergers and acquisitions and corporate transactions, specialising in public takeovers (friendly and hostile), schemes of arrangement, private M&A deals, equity capital markets transactions and general corporate and securities law matters of all sizes. Kevin holds degrees in Law and Commerce (Finance) from the University of New South Wales.
He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia.
Kevin’s experience includes:
Public M&A experience
- Investa Property Group on the $3.4 billion contested acquisition by trust scheme of Investa Office Fund between Oxford Properties (OMERS) and Blackstone.
- Ruralco Holdings Ltd on its $469 million acquisition by Agrium Australia, a subsidiary of Nutrien Ltd, by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Rockworth Capital Partners on its 18% investment in ASX-listed Elanor Investors Group and related strategic alliance arrangements.
- SG Fleet on its $800 million proposal to acquire Eclipx Group by scheme of arrangement.
- Chengtun Mining Group on its acquisition of Nzuri Copper Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement and related debt arrangements.
- Vango Mining Limited on its off-market takeover bid for Dampier Gold Ltd.
- Propel Funeral Partners’ successful contested takeover bid for Norwood Park Limited.
- Investa Property Group on its $276 million acquisition of a strategic stake in Investa Office Fund.
- Superloop Limited on its $228 million acquisition of BigAir Group by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Vocus Communications Limited on its A$4.3 billion merger of equals with M2 Telecommunications Ltd by way of scheme of arrangement to create the fourth largest fully integrated telecommunications company in Australia.
- Helloworld Limited on its scrip merger with AOT Group Ltd by way of an acquisition approved by shareholders under item 7 of section 611 of the Corporations Act and related 1-for-6 share consolidation.
- Uranium Resources, Inc. on its scrip merger with Anatolia Energy Limited by way of three inter-conditional schemes of arrangement and related secondary ASX listing of CDIs to create new low-cost uranium producer.
- Vocus Communications Limited on its contested A$1.2 billion merger with Amcom Telecommunications Limited – the first Australian scheme of arrangement to succeed in the face of a 20% blocking stake.
- Alsons Prime Investments Corporation on its A$361 million acquisition of Indophil Resources NL, the ASX-listed owner of a 37.5% interest in the Tampakan Project (one of the largest undeveloped copper and gold mines in South-East Asia), by scheme of arrangement.
- Count Financial Limited on its A$373 million acquisition by Commonwealth Bank of Australia Limited by scheme of arrangement.
- Rio Tinto plc on its successful A$4 billion off-market takeover bid for Riversdale Mining Limited, the ASX-listed owner of two major coking and thermal coal projects in Mozambique.
- TPG Telecom Limited on its successful A$373 million takeover of ASX-listed PIPE Networks Limited by scheme of arrangement and related A$360 million syndicated debt raising and A$66 million equity raising.
- Macquarie Capital Alliance Group on its A$836 million triple-stapled security cross-border take-private transaction by way of inter-conditional Australian and Bermudian schemes of arrangement and trust scheme.
- Macquarie Private Capital Group on its A$115 million takeover by Bear Sterns Private Equity Limited by way of inter-conditional schemes.
Private M&A experience
- Shaw and Partners on the sale of 51% of its shares to Swiss-listed EFG International and associated shareholder arrangements.
- The Stars Group Inc. on its acquisition of 80% of CrownBet and on CrownBet’s successful bid to acquire William Hill Australia.
- Yancoal Australia’s Independent Board Committee on its successful US$3.4 billion contested acquisition of Coal & Allied Industries from Rio Tinto.
- Beach Energy on its successful $1.585 billion competitive bid for Lattice Energy, the conventional upstream oil and gas business of Origin Energy.
- Investa Property Group on its sale of a 50% interest in the Investa Office Management platform to a subsidiary of Macquarie Group Limited.
- Quadrant Private Equity on its $300 million private acquisition of WorldMark Group, an automotive after-care business.
- Gardner Smith Group on its A$302 million sale to GrainCorp Limited for a combination of cash and GrainCorp scrip by way of private treaty with over 30 shareholders and, simultaneously, acted for GrainCorp Limited on its $170 million acquisition of the Integro Foods business from Goodman Fielder, which transactions together created the GrainCorp Oils business.
- Mirvac Group on its A$327 million sale of Australian hotel assets to a consortium comprising Accor Asia Pacific and Ascendas.
- Direct Group on its acquisitions of the Reader’s Digest Australia, Reader’s Digest Asia Pacific and OverSixty businesses.
- Helloworld Limited on its multi-jurisdictional sale of the ATS Pacific inbound travel business in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji to AOT Group Limited.
Equity capital markets experience
- Yancoal Australia on its dual primary listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and associated initial public offering to raise HK$1.605 billion and related pro rata accelerated renounceable entitlement offer.
- Beach Energy on its equity raising to fund its successful $1.585 billion competitive bid for Lattice Energy, the conventional upstream oil and gas business of Origin Energy.
- Yancoal Australia’s Independent Board Committee on its US$2.5 billion capital raising to fund its successful US$3.4 billion contested acquisition of Coal & Allied Industries from Rio Tinto – the largest equity raising in Australia in 2017.
- TPG Telecom on its $400 million accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offer.
G+T examines 2021’s public M+A transactions valued over $50 million involving ASX-listed companies. The Review provides our perspective on the trends for Australian M+A in 2021 and what that might mean for you in 2022.